Dr. AK does his best to treat patients on the basis of appositeness of the procedure and not technical intricacy. He strongly thinks that the focus is on the interventional cardiologist to be reliably trained so that the right patients (irrespective of the intricacy of the procedure) could be treated, and not only the ones the cardiologist is able to do due to his/her limited competences. This central philosophy has allowed Dr. AK to not just be a distinguished operator but also train thousands of cardiologists worldwide in intricate coronary interventions, such as chronic total occlusion PCI (believed to be the most intricate angioplasty process), over the past six years. He has carried out several extremely intricate procedures in Asia and the United States with great success and a flawless safety record. Furthermore, he has been trained in structural interventions and peripheral angioplasties at the Cleveland Clinic.
After completing his MBBS from Madras Medical College in India, he became a part of several renowned institutes like the Geisinger Medical Center, University of Maryland, and Cleveland Clinic (all in the United States). Moreover, he is a member of the American College of Cardiology and Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions.
Today, Arun Kalyanasundaram is a renowned leader in the domain of Chronic Total Occlusion Interventions in the United States and rest of the world. He has served in many leadership roles such as Chief of Cardiology and Cath Lab Director at Highline Medical Centre and Head of the CTO PCI programme at Swedish Medical Centre (both in the United States). He acts as a consultant to many firms in the domain of CTOs and is one of the most popular proctors for teaching this process in the United States and globally. Apart from holding an academic position at the University of Washington, Seattle, he has also been a full-time proctor for CTOs in Asia Pacific and has assisted in propagating the “Hybrid CTO” methodology. He also has several publications in the domain and has carried out chaired sessions and live cases. He is a revered speaker in this domain.
Currently, he is the chief of Cardiology at Chennai’s Promed Hospital. He is also an Honorary Director, Interventional Cardiology at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute (New Delhi), and the Head of the CTO PCI program as well, which is the first of its kind in the country. He has established the CHIP-CTO INDIA [COMPLEX HIGH RISK INDICATED PATIENTS (CHIP) – CHRONIC TOTAL OCCLUSION (CTO)] conference, along with some other leaders in interventional cardiology in India, to teach cardiologists how to tackle intricate coronary interventions, which are high-risk and chronic total occlusions.
Cleveland Cardiac Care (C3)
Cleveland Cardiac Care (C3) has been motivated by the Cleveland Clinic, where I received my training. It brings in our effort to develop a system that provides our patients with world-class, suitable, and tailor-made medical care, irrespective of geographical location, economic ability and social status.
As an entity, I place my personal assurance to value your precious time as well as convenience. As part of the C3 family, we guarantee stress-free medication that includes immediate as well as personalised care along with respect and compassion.
Whatever may be your cardiac needs, rest assured, since our team of highly experienced, knowledgeable professionals will always be there ready for you with our cutting-edge technology.
I am committed to provide top quality cardiac care and services that will definitely establish long-lasting relationships with the patients.
A comprehensive care will be given that includes everything right from early prevention to the most advanced and latest curative techniques prevalent in the field of cardiology.
Awards, Memberships, and Honors
- Course Director for CHIPCTO INDIA – 2019 – the first Indian conference to focus on CHIP patients, New Delhi, India
- Course Co-Director for India Live 2019, Mumbai, India
- Founding member of IFACI (Indian Foundation for Advanced Cardiac Interventions)
- Course Co-Director for IJCTO 2019
- Course Co-Director for Guangzhou CTO course
- Invited Faculty for CCT Kobe Japan 2018
- Invited Faculty for TCTAP 2019
- Live Case Operator for India Live (CTO) – 2019 and 2018
- Live Case Operator at various regional CTO congresses most recently at SEOUL CTO CAMP 2019
- Live Case Operator at 9th NHC CTO Course, Singapore 2018
- Live Case operator – CTO at MyLive 2018 and 2017
- Invited faculty at TCT-AP 2018 and Chaired Various CTO sessions. Invited Faculty for TCT 2018
- Invited International Course Director IJCTO 2018
- Invited Faculty and moderated CTO sessions at ASIA-PCR 2018
- Course-Director for CTO conference in Guangzhou 2017
- Invited Faculty for TCT 2017
- Invited Faculty and chaired sessions (CTO related) and live case operator at INDIA LIVE 2018
- Invited faculty at CTO LM summit 2018
- Invited Faculty and live case operator at MYLIVE 2018 (upcoming)
- Invited faculty and live case operator at MYLIVE 201
- Invited Faculty and live case operator at Bahrain LIVE 2017
- Chaired several sessions, debates, multiple live cases in China 2017 including China Interventional Therapeutics 2017, Great wall 2017, OCC 2017.
- Invited faculty and Live case Operator at Taiwan Live 2017
- Invited faculty and Live case Operator for CTO conference in Saudi Arabia 2017
- Chairperson at India Live 2017 in several CTO sessions.
- Faculty and Chairperson at India Live 2017
- Faculty for Mastering the Complex 2017 at Johannesburg as SCAI Faculty
- Faculty at Transcatheter Therapeutics (TCT) 2016–LargestInterventional Meeting in the World
- Chairperson at sessions in India Live 2016
- Chairperson at India Live CTO talk – Boston Scientific
- Level II certification in nuclear cardiology, and coronary CT at Geisinger Medical Center, PA and level I in cardiac MRI.
- Board-certified in American Board of Internal Medicine – 2005
- Board Certified in American Board of Internal Medicine – Interventional Cardiology – 2010
- ACLS and BLS
- Board-certified in American Board of Internal Medicine Cardiovascular Disease–2009
- Co-author 2nd edition manual of Coronary Chronic Total OcclusionInterventions: A Step-by-Step Approach. EmmanouilBrilakis(2017)Post-cath Complications; Introductory Guide to Cardiac Catheterization.2nd Edition.Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2011 Peripheral Interventional procedures. 1001 Questions: An Interventional Cardiology Board Review. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2012
- Antegrade approach to Chronic Total Occlusions. NIC Companion Book of Interventional Cardiology 2016
Why Dr. AK?
If you have been told that
1) You do not have any option but to live life with angina
2) ) You are at considerably high surgical risk
3) You have undergone bypass surgery procedure and now grafts have failed
4) ) Your blockage has reached 100% and there is nothing that could be done
To make sure that you receive the best care possible for your heart condition, it is crucial to consult a doctor who is familiar with the current guidelines, possesses technical expertise and knows about cutting-edge techniques to treat coronary artery disease (heart blockages). Not all physicians are able to provide this level of care and skill, and you may even have to travel to a different location to get the right treatment for you.
Do you need a second opinion?
Getting a second opinion at C3 provides you with a chance to consult a specialist that treats patients even with very advanced coronary artery disease.
Discovering that you have a heart blockage could be scary, particularly when seeking for treatment to deal with the issue. You may be sceptical if you are receiving the best advice.
A second opinion would bring some relief in your mind by knowing that you have been diagnosed appropriately and that you are receiving the right treatment. Local availability of Dr. Arun Kalyanasundaram and his expertise may not be an option. Many patients who seek second opinions also come to know that treatment is possible, even if other doctors have given up to make them better. You will get an expert opinion that accounts for the latest technology and research studies and would get to know about the inherent risks and benefits associated with each treatment.
There are two options for second opinions:
Please contact Promed Hospital for an appointment with Dr. Arun Kalyanasundaram at C3.
You can make use of our secure online second opinion service anytime. Please send us an email. After we receive your information, your second opinion report will get ready within 2-3 business days. It will be a comprehensive report that will include clinical impression and treatment recommendations, customised to your health condition. Such recommendations would also account for the current guidelines as well as evidence-based studies.
This service is charged INR3000, or $50. Please note that for patients with financial issues, we would consider offering this service at a lower charge.